We are pleased to announce the Third National Astronomy Olympiad 2016- Nepal that will be held on Saturday, March 26, 2016! Interested students are encouraged to contact us during Monday-Wednesday-Friday between 2:00 PM-5:00 PM to submit their application. If you are from outside of Kathmandu valley and would like to participate in the program, please contact us at 01-4110344 during the office hours as mentioned above.
The deadline for the application is Friday, March 25, 2016! Selected team will participate in the upcoming 10th International Olympiad on Astronomy and Astrophysics during December 9-19, 2016 to be held in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India.
There will be two hour long examination during the examination during the olympiad day.Students will be selected on the basis of their total scores on selection exam (45 multiple choice questions- 90 marks), grades on SLC or equivalent (5 marks) and motivation (5 marks) section of your application form.
- Collect your NAO-2016 Application Form from our office or collection centers. The application fee for NAO2016 is NR. 1,000 /-
- Submit the application form along with your academic certificate and character certificate with the application fee.
- In case, you apply as the endorsed team from your college/school, your team can submit 6 applications in total NRs 5,000 /- For this registration category, all your team members must be from same college.
- Give the entrance exam from the nearby examination centers. The list of centers will be updates in our website.
Syllabus (Entrance exam)
The syllabus for Entrance exam of National Astronomy Olympiad (NAO) is broadly equivalent to the senior secondary level (up to Class XII) of Higher Secondary Education Board (HSEB) Nepal. There will be greater emphasis on physics and mathematics and elementary astronomy.
- Mechanics: Newton’s Laws of Motion; Gravitation; Circular Motion; Rotational Motion; Simple Harmonic Motion
- Heat and Thermodynamics: Thermodynamic Equilibrium; Ideal Gas; Energy Transfer; Black Body Radiation
- Nuclear Physics: Atom; Hydrogen Spectrum; Nucleus and Radioactivity; X‐Rays
- Wave and Optics: Light; Interference, Diffraction, Polarization; Microwave, Infrared, Ultraviolet,
- Gamma Rays, Visible Wavelength Bands; Optical Instruments; Doppler’s Effect
- Electricity and Magnetism: Electromagnetic Theory; Magnetic Properties and Behavior
- The Sun: Solar Structure; Sun‐Earth Relation; Solar Wind and Radiation; Eclipse
- The Earth: Atmosphere; Longitude and Latitude; Tides; Seasons; Meteor Shower; Aurorae
- The Solar System: Earth‐Moon System; Planets introduction
- The Stars: Life Cycle; Neutron Star; Black Hole; Supernova; Constellations
- Universe: Galaxy; Dark Matter; Hubble’s law
- Space Exploration: Satellites; Human exploration and missions
- Mathematics: 3‐D figures (Sphere, Cone, Prism, Cylinder, Cuboid, Cube); 2‐D figures (Triangle, Quadrilateral, Circle)
Note: Above mentioned sections are as per the syllabus of HSEB, students are encouraged to explore reference materials
The National Astronomy Olympiad Programme is a national educational programme designed by Nepal Astronomical Society (NASO) and ESPRO Foundationto encourage Nepalese students who pursue further studies in Physics,Maths,Astronomy & Space Science.